Thursday, June 5, 2008

FLDS - Finding Little Deceptive Slants

I swear, if I thought that it would be possible for me to cram all of this FLDS stuff into one post, believe me, I would. But there's no way. None. It would just be too freaking long (and I still wouldn't be done!). I like to think that the multiple posts are rather appropriate for this situation. (And as a female, there are plenty of things that come to mind (pun probably intended) that I rather enjoy having in multiples, but spouses would not be one of the things on my "multiples" list. No, I have much better things on my list.) So, onward!

All of the FLDS children have been returned to the walled off, secular, multi-spousal compound down there in Polygamy-ville Eldorado, Texas. And while not everyone ("not everyone" meaning those who aren't living within the walled off, secular, multi-spousal compound) is thrilled that this has occurred, a lot of them seem to think that this is it and it's over and everyone is just supposed to ignore the fact that, despite what the FLDS want to proclaim, there are underage girls having sex with adult males over there. (Oh, but not by "force". Good Lord, you say the word "force" to an FLDS member and they seem to think you said "farce" and then begin speaking accordingly.) Trust me, it's not being ignored. I guess there's a saying that goes something like, "They may have lost the battle, but they won the war." Something like that. The FLDS may be down there feeling like they've won this battle, but in the end? They're going to lose the war.

And I have to think that the FLDS members are a bit nervous that they're going to be held legally accountable for their actions. ("Actions" meaning the having of all the sex with the underage girls by the adult males under the guise of a religious practice under a made up religion.) So what should they do? Correct, they should retaliate in a passive-aggressive manner and while they're at it, they should spew martyred propaganda with inflammatory wording. They should? They are.

Apparently, according to the fine folks over there at the Chicago Tribune, there is a bit of anticipation regarding a mass voter registration by the FLDS. According to the Trib, "Hours after the court first ruled against the state, two members of the sect walked into the county clerk's office and requested 300 voter registration forms, a potentially tide-turning number in a county with 1,800 voters." (The sheriff down there is up for re-election this year, by the way. Gee, I wonder what they could possibly want to vote on. Hmm...) OK, so let me get this straight....because the FLDS members feel "persecuted" and because they will not acknowledge that they brought this whole ordeal upon themselves and because they just want to get back to their simple, simple, oh-so-simple lives, they're going to retaliate by voting in the very society whose laws they ignore and whose people they shun and who they wall themselves off from?! An action that is clearly retaliation and which will have absolutely no bearing on laws and how they apply to them. No, the only thing that will do is, if they were to succeed in booting the sheriff from office, is to allow another sheriff to be elected and follow the same freaking laws that the current sheriff is following. I think it would be a lot easier and definitely not so passive-aggressive if the FLDS members just threw themselves on the ground and had a tantrum, because that's all this amounts to. But that will never happen. (They might get dust on their frocks.)

And I'm not saying that they don't have a right to vote. They absolutely do. But I have an issue with those who have this right and want absolutely nothing to do with the society in which the right is to be exercised and then do so for no other reason than to use it as a weasely "get back".

And now..websites! The FLDS have multiple websites to inform the public of what they want to inform them of (which seems to be how horribly persecuted they have been and how unjust that is because they're such wonderful people living such wonderful lives. I'm sure it will come as a shock to you that there is nothing, nothing, about the underage marriages, the underage sex, etc. Yeah, seem shocked.) Having multiple things seems to be a trend with these people. I don't know if their sing-songy essays can get any more sappy and any more "poor me" sounding. (I say I don't know if they can, but they will. They have been.) Some of their articles include such titles as,

  • "Oh, Where Are The Patriots?" (Well, they lost the Super Bowl, so they didn't go to Disneyland, but I'm not sure exactly where they are.)

  • "Tender Thoughts of a Lonely Mother" (Like chicken tenders? Mmm...chicken tenders.)

  • "Finding Peace and Love" (Have you checked with the Patriots?)

  • "I Spent The Day Crying". (That must have been before finding all the peace and all the love.)
Those are just the sappy titles. Some of the more inflammatory titles include,

  • "FLDS Human Rights Violations are Fraud Reminiscient of KGB" (Um, if you think the State of Texas is "reminiscent" of the KGB, you might want to read that section in your history book again, as the two are really quite different.)

  • "Child "Protection" is BIG Business!" (Yep, there will a "child protection business" on every corner, just like Starbucks! Have your child protected while you sip a latte!)

  • "Parents Being Weighed in the Balance" (No. It's more like, "Parents being investigated for allowing their underage daughters to be put in uncompromising and inescapable sexual situations with adult males" But I guess that title was too long, eh?)

  • "A Modern-Day Inquisition". (OK, look, why are they complaining about everything that is happening as if they are practices from the past? They dress and live like it is 1852!! They should be happy that the perceived persecution of their made up religion and their walled off compound is taking the practices from the days of yore into consideration and implementing some of history's favorites! "The Inquisition! The KGB Tactics! The Gestapo! The Holocaust! All brought back just for this purpose!" They want to live in the past but they want to be treated in the present. Choose a side, folks!)
Once again, I get to about this point and it's clear that these people exhaust me. It's hard to keep up with so many versions of "poor me" being thrown out there. But here's my favorite. From one of the FLDS websites, they have this photo montage of some of the children (they like to refer to them as "captive flds children", which is also the name of their website.). I don't know exactly what it's purpose is other than to illustrate what this whole ordeal has done to them. And when I saw this picture, I was shocked, just shocked, because I had no idea that one of the consequences to being taken off of the YFZ Ranch and put into state custody was that the children would age what seems to be a couple of years over just a couple of months! Amazing! I'm so glad they pointed that out to us. (By the way, I erased the kid's names. I just didn't feel it was necessary to have them on there. You'd think that whoever posted that picture would have thought the same, but they didn't.)

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. It must hurt to go through life with such a nasty disposition and a closed mind to others who are not like you.

Glad you're not *my* neighbor.

(and no, I am not an LDS or FLDS--I am Roman Catholic and a mother of two)

Mare said...

Well, thank you for taking the time to read and for taking more time to comment.

Wow. You thought that was a "nasty disposition" and a "closed mind"? Good thing you didn't catch me on a bad day.

Congratulations on your Roman Catholicism and your two children. You must be very happy.

I'm glad we're not neighbors either.

If having an issue with those who perpetuate the sexing up of underage girls by middle aged (or older) men constitutes having a "nasty disposition" and being "closed minded", then so be it. There are some things that are just non-negotiable. Protecting children from those who prey upon them for their own pleasures is one of those things.

By the way, how are all of those Catholic priests who have been molesting young boys working out for you in your church? I'm sure with your cheery disposition and your open mind that you've been able to accomodate that into your spiritual practices so nothing is disrupted.

Yeah, I'm really glad we're not neighbors.