Friday, February 15, 2008

What a Bad Axe

Some 71 year old in Bad Axe, MI, had to go back to Lansing, MI, where he had bought a lottery ticket that had won $150. Turns out it wasn't $150, but $250,000. Cool.


Yeah, that's great and all, but this isn't about that. It's about the name of the town. Bad Axe. How cool is that?! I'd live there. "Where ya from?" "Bad Axe." Awesome!

And where did the lucky Mr. Donald Ertman purchase the ticket from? Why, from the Bad Axe Party Store & BP Gas Station, of course! Now there's a combo you don't see every day. Party supplies...AND petroleum! All in one convenient location. (It's been a long time since I've felt like throwing a party whenever I was buying gas, I'll tell you that.)

Actually, Mr. Ertman doesn't reside in Bad Axe. No, he's nearby. Over there in Sanilac County's Minden Township in Michigan's Thumb. That's pretty cool, too. Michigan's Thumb.

How come there aren't more cities named with a hybrid of the state and a body part? Tennessee's Elbow! Montana's Kidney! North Dakota's Little Toe! California's Armpit!

Oh. That's why.

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm from Bad Axe!! My first date was at the one-screen theater and then to Pizza Hut; it's where all the dates were. My husband's from the "city" and he always got a kick out of the fact that the Taco Bell there only had the "twists" on Saturday nights, they didn't serve them any other day. Oh the stories I could tell you, but I won't bore you... thank God for small town, USA.

Mare said...

Hey, I LIKE small town, USA! Twists on Saturdays only? How very special! Feel free to bore me with stories like THAT!