Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Warning: Not For The Soft Headed

Now the CDC has lost it. It's either the CDC or the AP again. But one of them has completely lost their mind.


Apparently, 7,000 children end up in the hospital every year after using cold and cough medicines. OK, that seems like a lot to me. And they end up in the hospital because why? I don't think I've ever read that explained. Is it because they're still sick? Still coughing? I don't get it.

About two-thirds of the cases were children who took the medicines unsupervised. However, about one-quarter involved cases in which parents gave the proper dosage and an allergic reaction or some other problem developed, the study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported.

Aside from the issue that I have with the basic math demonstrated above (two thirds plus one quarter does not equal a whole. What's up with the other 1/12th? That's at least 583 kids, so I find it a fairly significant omission.), the more obvious issue I have is with the fact that the kids took the medicines "unsupervised". And, shocker, something went wrong? Duh.

See, I'm having trouble finding the point of this story. I am fully capable of determining what the blatantly obvious is on my own. I don't need the AP or the CDC to assume I am of the soft-headed, helmet needing variety who wants to rely on government entities to spell out every little thing for me. Good Lord, that is the complete opposite of what I need.

Parents should not encourage children to take medicine by telling them it's candy, and parents should also avoid taking adult medications in front of kids, CDC officials said.

I suppose I'm OK with the "Parents should not encourage children to take medicine by telling them it's candy" part. Although if you're doing that, you have other issues that someone should be addressing. I don't know exactly what they would be, but I would think that at this point they would require that you have no more children until they're sufficiently dealt with.

I'm really not OK with the "parents should also avoid taking adult medications in front of kids". Why? Why should an adult not take an adult cold medicine in front of a child? Should I also not wear a large T-shirt in front of a child either? Because if that T-shirt isn't made for a child, God forbid if the child sees someone that it is made for with it.

To quote my two favorite morning radio guys (Armstrong & Getty, 910AM, check out the podcast or click the weblink over on the right of this page), "Goodbye, sweet America." When the CDC is telling people not to use items made for adults in front of children, it's a pretty strong sign that the masses either "seem to need" or "seem to want" that type of direction given to them in order to keep their lives on track. And I'm saying it again, for God's sake man, that is the last thing I need.

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: