Tuesday, November 25, 2008

He Is The Decider

After compiling quotes from George W. Bush's nearly eight years in office, I've learned a lot of things and come to a few conclusions. I've concluded that the country as a whole might not be the best group of folks to collectively decide who should lead us. I mean, I know I always say that this is a country that elected a man named 'Tricky Dick'. Twice. That right there does not exactly imply that the voters have stellar insight. But electing Bush twice? Good Lord, people. What were you thinking? (Yeah, yeah. I know. Him or Kerry.) Honestly, I'd like to poll everyone who voted for Bush the second time around and just ask them, "So, what was it about Part One that made you think, 'Sure, I'd go for that again.'?"

I'm just glad it's almost over. I'm also glad that he said a lot of things that just amused the hell out of me. (It's easier to laugh than cry about things like these.) It's just too bad he was President at the time that he said them.

Bush-speak! 2005-2008! Behold again! (But not for much longer!)


"We need to apply 21st-century information technology to the health care field. We need to have our medical records put on the I.T." Collinsville, IL, Jan. 5, 2005

"Who could have possibly envisioned an erection -- an election in Iraq at this point in history?" The White House. Washington, D.C., Jan. 10, 2005

"Because he's hiding." Response after being asked by a reporter why Osama bin Laden had not been caught. Air Force One, Jan. 14, 2005

"I like the idea of people running for office. There's a positive effect when you run for office. Maybe some will run for office and say, vote for me, I look forward to blowing up America. I don't know, I don't know if that will be their platform or not. But it's -- I don't think so. I think people who generally run for office say, vote for me, I'm looking forward to fixing your potholes, or making sure you got bread on the table." re: Elections in the Middle East, Washington, D.C., March 16, 2005

"In terms of timetables, as quickly as possible -- whatever that means." Explaining his time frame for shoring up Social Security. Washington D.C., March 16, 2005


"I understand there's a suspicion that we--we're too security-conscience." Washington D.C., April 14, 2005

"Part of the facts is understanding we have a problem, and part of the facts is what you're going to do about it." Kirtland, OH, April 15, 2005

"We discussed the way forward in Iraq, discussed the importance of a democracy in the greater Middle East in order to leave behind a peaceful tomorrow." Tbilisi, Georgia, May 10, 2005

"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." Greece, NY, May 24, 2005

"You see, not only did the attacks help accelerate a recession, the attacks reminded us that we are at war." re: The Sept. 11 attacks, Washington, D.C., June 8, 2005


"The relations with, uh....Europe are important relations, and they've, uh....because, we do share values. And, they're universal values, they're not American values or, you know ....European values, they're universal values. And those values....uh....being universal, ought to be applied everywhere." Press conference with European Union dignitaries, Washington, D.C., June 20, 2005


"The best place for the facts to be done is by somebody who's spending time investigating it." Comment on probe of how CIA agent Valerie Plame's identity was leaked, Washington D.C., July 18, 2005

"My thoughts are, we're going to get somebody who knows what they're talking about when it comes to rebuilding cities." re: Rebuilding New Orleans. Biloxi, MS, Sept. 2, 2005

"Wow! Brazil is big." Reaction after being shown a map of Brazil by Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, the President of Brazil. Brasilia, Brazil, Nov. 6, 2005


"Finally, the desk, where we'll have our picture taken in front of -- is nine other Presidents used it. This was given to us by Queen Victoria in the 1870s, I think it was. President Roosevelt put the door in so people would not know he was in a wheelchair. John Kennedy put his head out the door." Remarks to German newspaper reporter Kai Diekmann, to whom he was shwoing the Oval Office. Washington, D.C., May 5, 2006

"That's called, A Charge To Keep, based upon a religious hymn. The hymn talks about serving God. The president's job is never to promote a religion." Remarks to German newspaper reporter Kai Diekmann, to whom he was showing the Oval Office. Washington, D.C., May 5, 2006


"I think -- tide turning -- see, as I remember -- I was raised in the desert, but tides kind of -- it's easy to see a tide turn -- did I say those words?" Response to being asked if the tide was turning in Iraq. Washington, D.C., June 14, 2006



"Occasionally. One of the things I've used on the Google is to pull up maps. It's very interesting to see -- I've forgot the name of the program -- but you get the satellite, and you can -- like, I kinda like to look at the ranch. It remind me of where I wanna be sometimes." response to being asked if he uses Google, during an interview with CNBC's Maria Bartiromo. Oct. 24, 2006

"You know, when I campaigned here in 2000, I said, I want to be a war President. No President wants to be a war President, but I am one." Des Moines, IA, Oct. 26, 2006

"Make no mistake about it, I understand how tough it is, sir. I talk to families who die." Washington, D.C., Dec. 7, 2006 (video clip below)



"I'm a strong proponent of the restoration of the wetlands, for a lot of reasons. There's a practical reason, though, when it comes to hurricanes: The stronger the wetlands, the more likely the damage of the hurricane." New Orleans, March 1, 2007

"Suiciders are willing to kill innocent life in order to send the projection that this is an impossible mission." Washington, D.C., April 3, 2007

"I said to her, make sure the rug says 'optimistic person comes to work.' " Instructions he gave to Laura Bush when she was choosing a rug for the Oval Office. Tipp City, OH, April 19, 2007

"There are jobs Americans aren't doing. ... If you've got a chicken factory, a chicken-plucking factory, or whatever you call them, you know what I'm talking about." Tipp City, OH, April 19, 2007

"Information is moving -- you know, nightly news is one way, of course, but it's also moving through the blogosphere and through the Internets." Washington, D.C., May 2, 2007

"More than two decades later, it is hard to imagine the Revolutionary War coming out any other way." Martinsburg, WV, July 4, 2007

"I'm going to try to see if I can remember as much to make it sound like I'm smart on the subject." Response after being asked about a possible flu pandemic. Cleveland, July 10, 2007

"I heard somebody say, 'Where's Mandela?' Well, Mandela's dead. Because Saddam killed all the Mandelas." Inexplicably referring to Nelson Mandela, former South African president, who is still alive! Washington, D.C., Sept. 20, 2007

"As yesterday's positive report card shows, childrens do learn when standards are high and results are measured." Regarding No Child Left Behind Act, Washington, D.C., Sept. 26, 2007



"I got a lot of Ph.D.-types and smart people around me who come into the Oval Office and say, 'Mr. President, here's what's on my mind.' And I listen carefully to their advice. But having gathered the device, I decide, you know, I say, 'This is what we're going to do.'" Lancaster, PA, Oct. 3, 2007

"I fully understand those who say you can't win this thing militarily. That's exactly what the United States military says, that you can't win this military." Explaining the need for there to be political progress in Iraq, Washington, D.C., Oct. 17, 2007

"I don't particularly like it when people put words in my mouth, either, by the way, unless I say it." Crawford, TS, Nov. 10, 2007


"The decisions we make in Washington have a direct impact on the people in our country, obviously." New Albany, IN, Nov. 13, 2007

"I can press when there needs to be pressed; I can hold hands when there needs to be -- hold hands." Explaining how he is able to contribute to bringing peace to the Middle East . Washington, D.C., Jan. 4, 2008

"Let me start off by saying that in 2000 I said, 'Vote for me. I'm an agent of change.' In 2004, I said, 'I'm not interested in change --I want to continue as president.' Every candidate has got to say 'change.' That's what the American people expect." Washington, D.C., March 5, 2008

"I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office." Washington, D.C., May 12, 2008

"And so the fact that they purchased the machine meant somebody had to make the machine. And when somebody makes a machine, it means there's jobs at the machine-making place." --Mesa, AZ, May 27, 2008

"We've got a lot of relations with countries in our neighborhood." Kranj, Slovenia, June 10, 2008

"The German asparagus are fabulous." Meseberg, Germany, June 11, 2008

"I remember meeting a mother of a child who was abducted by the North Koreans right here in the Oval Office." Washington, D.C., June 26, 2008

"I think it was in the Rose Garden where I issued this brilliant statement: If I had a magic wand -- but the president doesn't have a magic wand. You just can't say, 'low gas.' " Washington D.C., July 15, 2008

"This thaw -- took a while to thaw, it's going to take a while to unthaw." - on liquidity in the markets, Alexandria, LA, Oct. 20, 2008

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: