Saturday, January 26, 2008

Thanks For "Explaining"

So, sometime late last year, the Mars rover Spirit took a picture of the surface of the planet that appears to show some sort of a human figure sitting amongst or atop the rocky Martian terrain. See said photo here:

Now, granted, it does look like something that you wouldn't necessarily expect to see on another planet that is presumably without life. However, I won't go as far as some have in suggesting that it looks like Rodin's "The Thinker" or that it's Bigfoot. But I will go just a bit farther than the scientists who have given an explanation for what the object is.


Are you ready for the explanation? Brace yourself. Sit down. Deep breath. Take another. OK. Good. You seem prepared for this earth shattering announcement from scientists and astronomers. Here it is...the scientific explanation of the object is......it's a rock.


WTF?! No s---, Sherlock! Since when does "it's a rock" qualify as a "scientific explanation"? What the hell else would it be?! It's on friggin' Mars! You don't have a lot of choices!


I've decided I'm going to be one of those kind of scientists. My world renowned fame is only moments away. I can feel it! I'd better practice for the interview. Ahem...."It's a chair!" "That? That's a tree!" "It's a dog!" Here comes the tricky one..."Um...it's a rock!" There. I'm a scientist.









Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: