Saturday, January 12, 2008

7 Years Later, It'll Take 6 More Before We're Safe

The US has "unveiled" it's new, "more secure" rules for driver's licenses for anyone born after Dec. 1, 1964. According to the AP, the Homeland Security Department (What do these guys do again? I mean, I know what they do, but what have they done?) "has spent years crafting the final regulations for the REAL ID Act" which is supposed to make it more difficult for people who we don't want to have government issued ID (ie, terrorists, people in this country illegally, and con artists. Go figure.) to obtain one.


The key part above are the words "spent years". Now, being as how it's a government entity, "spent years" is also the equivalent of "pissed away bazillions of your tax dollars". I don't think the AP really looks at the term "pissed away" as a show of journalistic aptitude, thus the more accepted term of "spent years." I, however, have zero problem with "pissed away". Thus, it's inclusion in my rant.


Not only has the department "spent years" on this program, but in order to make it "more appealing to cost conscious states" the overall cost was reduced from $14.6 billion to $3.9 billion. First of all, which are the non-cost conscious states? Which states are out there just blowing through taxpayer money right and left? Seems like a good state to get a job in, that's all I'm sayin'. But back to the cost. That's $10.7 billion that they were able to shave off. And while I'm glad they did that before implementing said program, wtf?! 73 percent. I'm dyin' to know how it looked before they reduced the cost. And that's only because I want to know what those guys over there thought would be a good idea in the first place before they realized that they were going to have to pull that money out of their respective asses in order to fund it.


They need to pull their heads out of their asses while they're at it. One of the 09/11 hijackers apparently had four driver's licenses and three ID cards from different states. This is what prompted their slogan for their REAL ID plan. Ready? "One driver, one license." Um, yeah, it's crafty. But, how do I put this? Oh, THAT'S HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE!!! I don't need a SLOGAN that states the blatantly obvious! That's like "One hand, five fingers." Duh! Next thing you know, my cereal boxes will have a label that reads: Food...for eating. And the milk with say, "Liquid....for drinking." We know that! Your slogan is not witty! You want to know what my slogan would have been? "One license. Deal with it."


I'm going to twist right on off if I keep going on this one. The HSD has made some of the details of their program public. I just can't get into it in this post. I might need psychiatric help afterward if I do. I'll get into those tomorrow, maybe. Later today, possibly. Now, ain't gonna happen. Years. That's all you need to remember before the details are clear. Years. It took them years to come up with this. Good God, if only the rest of us had that kind of time.

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: