Monday, September 17, 2012

No Law Necessary

I know that I've said this before, but I don't get people.  Why do people care so much about what other people are doing?  And more importantly, why do they feel the need to put some sort of a law in place to stop a particular behavior that really doesn't have anything to do with anyone else?  Here's today's example that perplexes me:

Over on Facebook, I have subscribed to the updates for the A&E show Parking Wars.  Have you ever seen Parking Wars?  It's fairly awesome.  The concept is odd, I'll admit.  The show follows around the parking authority folks of a particular city and films them giving out tickets for various parking offenses.  The more interesting part is the people who are getting the tickets or who have to go and pay for the tickets.  That's entertaining stuff right there.  It's not must-see-tv or anything like that, but it's a good way to kill 30 minutes while you're waiting for the Kardashians come on. 

Anyway, their update this morning reads as follows:  "Bizarre DMV law of the day:  Virginia may be for lovers, but West Virginia is for meat lovers.  Officials in the Mountain State have deemed it perfectly legal for anyone to scavenge road kill."

There are several things about that update that perplex me.  First is the use of the term "bizarre".  How is it "bizarre" to allow someone to take an animal that has been killed on the road, presumably by a vehicle?  Why would that ever be illegal in the first place?  I don't understand why that is bizarre to someone.  Should it be illegal?  I can't imagine why.  I mean, it isn't something that I would do, but why would I give a fat rat's ass if someone else wanted to take home a deer that had been pulverized by a Suburban?  Take it!  It has absolutely nothing to do with me, so why would I care?  (And I've got news for the folks who still think it's "bizarre" to eat meat that's been killed by a car.  All meat comes from an animal that gets killed!  All of it!  I'm not so sure that the process of death really matters in the end.  I'm just saying.)

But maybe that's just the person who posted it, right?  See, if there's one thing that I've learned from scrutinizing the fuster cluck that is the media it's that they don't seem to understand all of the different sorts of little sub-societies that exist in this country.  Since they couldn't possibly imagine eating deer, let alone roadkill, they assume that it's just the craziest thing they've ever heard of and (apparently) that it should be illegal.  Turns out that it wasn't just the Parking Wars people who seem to think that there needs to be some sort of law in place.  Some of the comments were: 

"Who is surprised? Its freaking W Va!"  (By the way, according to their Facebook information, the person who posted that lives in Virginia!  Oh, so Virginia is completely "civilized", but those folks over there in West Virginia are just crazy people who don't regulate their roadkill!  I find that to be hilarious.)

"Ironically they can't marry their cousins in WV. THAT'S illegal but eatin' dead possum from the street is fine.Yep..... That's about right."  (I have no idea how this is an "ironic" statement.  It should be illegal to marry your relatives!  How is that getting lumped with eating a dead animal off of the road?!) 

 "We are talking about West Virginia, does this really shock anyone?"  (What shocks me is that this guy seems to assume that every other state must have a law against scavenging road kill.  Because of course what kind of a society would we be if we didn't constrain every single possible human action?!) 

And finally, my favorite: "Nasty inbred bastards!! Notice all the Wrong Turn movies are filmed there?"  I really don't even know what that means.  I guess that if there isn't a law to prevent you from salvaging road kill that you naturally procreate with members of your own family?  OK, then.  Seems like quite a leap to me, but to each their own I suppose.  The point here is that if you want to eat an animal that's been killed in the road, have at it!  I can't see a single reason why there needs to be a freaking law against something like that.  And I'm a little surprised that some of these folks seem to think that there should be.  The amusing part is the ones who would be in favor of a law are the ones who think that West Virginia is backwards.  Please.






















Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: