Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Feed Yourself

So there was this story over at " STYLE="text-decoration: none">The Blaze about this video that some high school students made to protest how "hungry" they were at school because school lunches just weren't filling them up. Now, I could go into detail about what the article says and what their main complaints are, but I think that I've summed it up quite nicely already. There's not much more to it than that. And that's why I can't help but feel like I'm missing something.

OK, so school lunches aren't enough to fill them up. The article even quotes one kids as saying that he grabbed a lunch from the school cafeteria consisting of two slices of pizza, grapes and milk and then he went to McDonald's because that wasn't enough. OK, that's fine and it brings me to my question. If the school lunches aren't enough, why in the world aren't these kids bringing their lunch from home? When did it become the government's responsibility to feed children? I thought that was the responsibility of the parents. What is the problem here?

Yes, I realize that there are people out there that need assistance with their purchasing of food. That's what we have food stamps for. I don't have a problem with that. But it seems to me that if you're being given government money to feed your family, that you should be able to feed your family. But that aside, I still don't understand why if the school lunches aren't enough, why they don't just bring their own and stop whining about it? Not as fun, perhaps? I guess it is hard to make a catchy video with the theme of "We're going to be responsible for ourselves and not complain when we're not taken care of by the government to our own liking."

I really don't get this, but I've included the video below anyway. I'm happy to listen to reasons why this should be an issue, by the way. I really just don't get it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: