Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Note Wrote

You know, sometimes you meet someone who you end up thinking is just swell. You think they're just amazing. You're not in reverence of them or anything like that, but they're just....different? You realize that they bring something to your life that you probably didnt even know was missing. Maybe "missing" isn't the exact right word, but it's sort of like that. It's just that when you hang out with this person or when you talk or text or email, it's just enjoyable and pleasant. And you really, really dig it.

Now, let's just say for the sake of the argument (and so that I know what I'm talking about) that you haven't known this person all that long. Maybe, say, 6 months or so. And really, if you look back, it might be considered amazing that the two of you still even speak, let alone are friends. Maybe not impossibly amazing, but depending on what you're reflecting upon, there are definitely moments that would make a current friendship seem unlikely at best. But really, you hope that during that time that you've given to the other person at least what they've given to you. Meaning that part of the friendship that really makes it worth it for you and that you really can't always vocalize or put into words that make a whole lot of sense (or take less than an hour to spit out).

It's the part that makes you want to call them when you've had a day that was a suckfest. And it's the part that makes you want to call them even more when you've had a great day. It's the part that draws you to them when you want someone to hang out with. Or someone to have a discussion with. Or someone you just want to run an idea by.

It's the part that makes you want to back up everything you've said, so they'll know you're not full of crap. It's the part that makes you tell them that you'll stand by them, so they'll know they won't have to be alone. (And that's the part that makes you want to. And that's the part that makes you.) It's the part that has you finding yourself scoping out other people to see if they possess the same traits that make this person so incredible to you, just so you can see how common it is. And it's the part that makes you realize that other people are not the same, which makes you more grateful and more thankful that you guys are friends.

It's the part that is articulate and well read. That is caring and warm. That is sarcastic and witty (but not funnier than me). That is strong and resilient. That is brilliant and thoughtful. That is honest and truthful. That is kind and reassuring. That comforts and listens well. That is fun and playful (but not a golden retriever). That is an amazing mother to her children. That is the most genuine person you've ever met. And that is, quite frankly, so ridiculously beautiful it's almost impossible to put it into words other than "ridiculously beautiful".

And then Christmas time rolls around. And you're not totally sure if it's all that easy of a time of year for them. Sure you know they like Christmas and all, but there might be some other things that could get in the way of total enjoyment. I mean, you're not sure, but you don't really know that you should ask either. Just because. They know that you know. But it's all of those things that they are, and it's all of those things that they've shared with you; and it's all of those things that they've given to you (more than you're sure they realize) that just makes you want to do whatever you can to make sure that your friend has a merry Christmas.

It's been a while since I've known someone like the person described above. Everything happens for a reason. I might not be totally sure of the reasons why we met or why we know each other or why we stuck things out, but that's OK. What matters is that we're friends and I'm grateful for that. Now, just let me do what I do, because I think you deserve every bit of it. Because I want you to have a good Christmas. And because I think you're just swell.

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

3 comments:

Remi said...

Hi Mare,
I was waiting for a christmas post for this, but since it's already late and there's still no post in sight (perhaps it's still crossing the pond. It sometimes takes hours between the moment you make a post and the moment I can see it) I'm doing it here.
I wish you a merry and peaceful christmas and that you can enjoy it with those which matter in your life.
I hope you'll also get some thoughtful and nice presents and have a great time.

Best regards,
Remi

Remi said...

btw: kudos on meeting someone that amazing. I'd really wish I would have the luck to meet someone that amazing to me without it ending pretty bad.

Mare said...

Hey, Remi.

Sorry it's taken me so long to post this. Thank you very much for your kind words. I hope you and yours had a peaceful and pleasant Christmas and/or holiday-celebrated-in-December. I've always appreciated that you've consistently read my blather and drivel (which would be an excellent name for a band, by the way). It really does help motivate me to continue to post daily even when I might feel a bit burnt out on the news sometimes (like this last month, for example). Thanks again and may you and those who are important people in your life have a new year that is at least, in some fashion, better than 2008. Happy 2009!

Mare

PS While the individual that I ramble on about on occasion is not my significant other, she is someone who I am truly honored to say is my friend. In my entire life, I have never met anyone who handles themself with more diginity and self-respect than she does. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that she is the most genuine human being I have ever encountered and it's absolutely phenomenal to be with her. I've learned things that I didn't even know that I needed to be taught. She made the 2nd half of my 2008 better than I could have imagined. I hope I can return the favor to her in 2009. The world is a much better place with her in it.