I'll tell you who cares.The Claymates care. Wait. The who? The what? The Claymates? The Claymates are fans of Clay Aiken (no word on whether or not they're going to be called The Gaymates from now on, but I do kind of doubt it.) I use the term "fan" loosely, as it would appear that a lot of them are just about a restraining order or two away from being permanently labeled "stalker".Over at something called aikenforums.com there is a huge discussion amongst several individuals who, I would assume, think of themselves as Claymates (or stalkers). Why they want to think of themselves as Claymates is beyond me.
For starters, before the "news" was officially official, there was actually speculation in that particular forum as to whether or not the picture on the front of People Magazine was a Photoshop or not. That's right. They were so wanting the "rumor" to be not true that they unofficially came to a consensus on the "Photoshop conspiracy theory" (the PCT) to try to calm themselves down before they "knew for sure". The PCT starts with a post by a one playbiller (who has posted 1,411 times) who writes the following:
- "Disclaimer - not a homophobe or fearful, but it seems like this as a nasty prank against the fandom...Reeks of photoshop to me. We can probably even find the picture of Clay's head from a recent fan photo if we look hard enough....Believe if you want, I just know that nothing is true unless it is printed in the fan club. I am really shocked that this source would be considered reliable on anything when almost everything he prints has been printed some where else before, unless he makes it up. I just figure he spent a little money on a good photoshopper. No, I am not delusional, this just does not add to me."
- From aikenobsessed01: hate me all you want, but this really sucks. I truely had faith in clay that he was NOT gay (222 posts)
- From InuGirl009: I'll admit, I was hoping for at least bi, but I'm really happy he came out with the truth anyway. Good for him! (127 posts)
- From Clays A NaturlaAphrodisiac: Can't say I'm entirely surprised. I thought the whole baby thing was so Will & Grace (you'll get this is you're a fan, like me). I'm happy for and proud of Clay, though. (12,780 posts)
But aikenforums.com isn't the only Clay Aiken forum. Oh, no, there are more. Lots more. Too many to want to think about. The responses from the Clay lovin' folk over there at The Clayboard, were a bit more broken up about it than the aikenforums.com folk. Here's a sample of a select few posts from the ninety five pages of posts about this topic.
- From strollynn63: This is a gut wrenching day for The ClayNation. Somebody wake me up, I hope its a dream. (12400 posts. Wow. And ClayNation? Not bad. But you're not dreaming. He's really gay. And you're really in need of some therapy.)
- From HeidiSeek: I am having a really hard time with this!!! I am trying to be patient and wait to see what Clay says in the interview. (1062 posts. I wonder what she was hoping for? For Clay to say, "I'm gay, but I'm going to continue to date women."? Perhaps HeidiSeek could carpool to therapy with strollynn63 up there.)
- From Holmes24: please tell me I'm not the only one who is shocked beyond belief! I feel numb I'm so upset. This can't be real!! How can you guys say this won't change anything? This changes EVERYTHING. I don't even know what to think right now. (424 posts. Well, how about if you start by thinking, "Oh, he's gay. He's the exact same person he was the 2 seconds before I knew he was gay." Why don't you start there and then I'm sure that other, more reasonable thoughts that you can think will just start flowing into your brain one after the other.)
- From RedBay: I am very very sad. (21342 posts. Again, wow, over twenty thousand posts. Twenty thousand. And this person is sad about the "news". Wow. RedBay, perhaps pay a bit more attention to your subject matter. I've only made a handful of posts about
GayClay and I paid attention enough to know he was Claygay. You've posted 21,342 times about him. You really should have known.
- From canear: I feel like I've been kicked in the stomach yet again. This isn't the way I expected to see Parker presented to the world. Some sort of forewarning to the fans would have been nice IMO. Can't think much past that right now. (8550 posts. Now, seriously, what sort of "forewarning" does this person have in mind? A little note slipped under their door in the middle of the night? The words "I'm Gay" engraved on a scented candle delivered via singing telegram via Gay Clay look alike? You don't know him personally, folks. He has NO idea who you are.)
- From clalvis: OMG, I'm speechless about this announcement. I speculated during American Idol 2, but I defended him to my family and friends, even my husband, because Clay blogged and talked about things that REALLY HAPPENED. I just wished it was already 2009 and all the nayslayers would have gotten it out of their systems saying "I told you so". It's never been easy being a fan, but I'm still here Clay. (35 posts. There's still hope. Then again, she seems to think that Clay reads these posts as she makes the "I'm still here Clay" announcement, as if he'll be calling her to go shopping for window treatments with him.
- From Missy222: I came home from happily shopping tonight to this hear the news of him being gay. I am so shocked I can't tell you how shocked I am even though he was accused for years, I stood up for him every time cause of the way he represented himself and talked about himself for years. He mislead. I am sad and shocked beyond belief. This will be a fundraising nightmare. The "kids and gays" idea doesn't mix well with society,, no matter what stance you take on the gay issue. . Wow, now how long will it take for all my friends to say "I told you so," after I defended him for years. (Who is she raising funds for? I'm pretty sure Clay has plenty of money. And the "he was accused for years" statement makes it sound as if he was just vindicated and freed from prison after serving decades as a wrongly convicted pedophile. I think the word that you were looking for was "speculation". But seriously lady, are you really THAT concerned that your friends will say "I told you so"? Who the hell cares? They're you're friends! They're supposed to give you S when something like this happens! It's their job! Why is that such an issue for you? That's just sad.)
Honestly, have these people never met an actual real, live gay peson? Holy canoli. But there was one post that stood above the rest. One post that made me concerned for certain sectors of society that these sort of individuals inhabit on a day to day basis. It makes me concerned for those around them and the day that they all get tired of tiptoeing around this person. It makes me wonder how this person was raised as a child to have this attitude about, let's just have a little perspective here, the NON news that Clay Aiken is GAY! For cryin' out loud.
- The winner: This is really shocking news as I had no idea he was gay and now I have to deal with this. I am not sure what to say to people who know I was a fan. I didn't go to work today and am not answering the telephone."
Um, WTF? Honey, the only person who has to "deal with" Clay being gay is Clay. It's none of your business. It's not your life. You have nothing to deal with. Oh, wait, you have your own life that you should get back to immediately if you're posting thoughts like that one. Holy crap. Maybe you should hang out with Missy222 whose friends might say "I told you so". (By the way, Missy222, I told you so!) And you didn't go to work? For reals? I've heard of sick days and personal leave days, but your employer gives you "I just found out Clay Aiken is gay" days? Holy crap, that's progressive. And asinine. I'd suggest taking a mental health day, but only in the sense that you should check yourself into a psychiatric facility and have your melon examined. Actually, you should probably be flown to Vienna, the birthplace of psychiatry, where a whole team of shrinks can try and gain insight into how someone like you functions on a day to day basis without crumbling. Wow. Get back to work. Quickly, before you hear that Ellen married Portia.