Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Really? Her Hair?

I gotta say, this Gabby Douglas girl is going to do just fine with her new found fame as a result of her winning that gold medal in  all-around gymnastics.  I know that because of how she has already handled the inevitable idiocy that would follow her winning.  I knew that there would be people out there who would find anything that they could to nitpick about with this girl, but I didn't know that they were so limited on things to choose from on their list of idiocracy that they would end up choosing to focus on her hair.  That's right.  Her hair.  Good Lord. 

And really, how this became a topic of discussion at all is beyond me because from what I can figure out, all of the hubbub came from morons on Twitter.  Twitter!  Why would I give a crap about what anyone on Twitter thinks about anything?  (Yes, I have a Twitter account.  And why anyone would give a crap about what I post on Twitter is also beyond me.)  This is a fad that I do not understand.  CNN has even taken to showing people's tweets when they're reporting on certain news subjects.  Why on earth would I care what some dolt in Nebraska (Just for instance!  Calm down, Nebraska.) has to say about a news story?  That's why I watch the news because I'm hoping for a "professional" take on things.  (Granted, those hopes are dashed frequently, but I think you get where I'm coming from.) 

Now, pay attention to this next part, regular media peeps.  See, you don't have to address someone's opinion simply because it's on Twitter.  No, you can act like it's just someone talking to their buddies and completely ignore it and not give it credence as if they're spouting some sort of wisdom that we otherwise wouldn't be partial to.  Yeah, you don't need to go to Twitter in order to fabricate non-news stories.  Not only do you not need to, I'm going to plead with you that you just don't. 

But of course, they didn't listen to me (again) and asked Gabby what she thought about what other people thought about her hair.  According to USA Today, she responded to the blather by saying: "I don't know where this is coming from. What's wrong with my hair? I just simply gelled it back, put some clips in it and put it in a bun. Are you kidding me? I just made history. And you're focusing on my hair?"  Yeah, she's going to be just fine.  Way to go, Gabby!  Way to point out the sadly obvious to those who have clearly lost focus.  I like her.  And again, she's going to do just fine. 

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: