Thursday, August 9, 2012

Olympics Ponderances

I have some Olympic ponderances today. 

First off, did you know that trampoline is an Olympic sport now?  How is trampoline an Olympic sport?  That's the childhood toy that defined the coolest backyards in the neighborhood.  That's an Olympic sport now.  Trampoline.  What's next?  Gold medals for the best performance in a ball pit?  Pogo stick competition?  

Next, let's talk about the balance beam in gymnastics.  That thing is only four inches wide.  And the beam itself is about four feet off of the ground.  Now, maybe, just maybe, if I had some sort of ladder or stool in order to get me up there, I could possibly walk from one end to the other without falling off.  Maybe.  These gymnastics jump up on that thing like it's sitting flat on the ground.  And then they get up there and they're jumping around and flipping over and landing on the thing with no problem.  If I tried anything like that, I'd end up in a chair drinking food through a straw for the rest of my life.  What I'm trying to say here is that there isn't enough credit given to those folks who can successfully work the balance beam.   

Then there's the overall coverage that NBC is giving the Olympics.  I started to notice as I was watching beach volleyball that every time that they would come back from commercials, I would noticed that I had missed like five or ten points.  How is this possible?  The coverage is tape delayed!  It's not like it's live!  There was no reason for viewers to miss those points! 

I'm also still not sure how dressage is an Olympic sport.  That's the one with the horses that jump over a bunch of obstacles that were put out for them to jump over.  They're horses.  They're the ones doing all of the work, and yet it's the rider (or are they a jockey) that gets all of the credit.  I'm not so sure that the horses know exactly what's going on, but I'll bet you that if they did that they wouldn't be too happy about it.  I can't imagine they're very happy about it as it is.  They have to be wondering "Why in the world do you want me to jump over that stick again?  You know that's not really Saturn, right?  This all seems so silly.  If they want that stick to be jumped, what say they jump over it and get off my back!"

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: