Sunday, August 19, 2012

No Apology Necessary

I'm  not going to be knocking ALL school administrators, but I am going to say that my experience with a lot of them has been less than pleasant.  Vice principals, for some reason, are especially frustrating.  Every single vice principal that I have ever had to deal with has always been a complete moron on an imaginary power trip.  How they ever got a position of "authority" in the first place is beyond me.  Today's tale is filled with that same sort of wonderment.  How on earth did someone get into their position if this is how they think that things should be done?! 

What we have is a story out of Prague, Oklahoma.  It would seem that class valedictorian Kaitlin Nootbaar gave a graduation speech back in May.  It's what the valedictorian does.  And according to KFOR TV, her speech wasn't exactly well received by at least one school administrator.  Of course, she didn't know that until this past week when she went to pick up her diploma.  That's when the principal told her "Your diploma is right here but you’re not getting it. Close the door we have a problem".  The "problem" that he was referring to?  She said "hell" in her speech. 

That's right.  Hell.  Now, it's not like she told anyone to go to hell or anything like that.  No, in fact, she was essentially spouting inspiration that she had gained from, of all freaking things, Eclispe: The Twilight Saga.  According to Kaitlin's dad, her quote was "...when she first started school she wanted to be a nurse, then a veterinarian and now that she was getting closer to graduation people would ask her what do you want to do and she said ‘How the hell do I know? I’ve changed my mind so many times.”  Totally reasonable if you're asking me.  Clearly, however, no one was asking me because this thing has gone full asshat. 

First of all, the word 'hell' is so mainstream these days, I barely think of it as profanity at all.  I think that we're at the point with it where it's technically profane, but not really.  That aside, the dad thinks that it's probably against the law to withhold her diploma for that reason.  I'm not sure if a law has been broken, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had.  I'm certain that common sense has been completely thrown out the window.  That I can assure you.  Oh, but "...the principal told Kaitlin she would have to write an apology letter before he would release the diploma." 

An apology letter?!  For what?!  First of all, if it was really a problem, don't you think that they should have said something to her months ago after it happened?  Second, there's nothing to apologize for!  Naturally, when trying to get the school's side of the story, the superintendent, a one Dr. Rick Martin, said “This matter is confidential and we can not publicly say anything about it .”  Uh, no, this matter is clearly not confidential if it's on the freaking news!  But loosely translated, that comes out to mean "We're obviously complete asshats and have no idea what we're doing, but we don't want to discuss that with reasonable people right now." 

I've decided that she should write the letter of apology.  And it should read something like this: 

Dear Principal Asshat (I'm ad-libbing there, of course, because I don't know Principal Asshat's given name),

I am so f**king sorry that I swore at graduation.  I don't know what in the hell I was thinking.  The second after I said it, I thought to myself, "God dammit!  Why did I say such a stupid f**king thing?  What a s****y thing to do!"  Sometimes, I just don't f**king think.  

Anyway, I'm really f**king sorry.  Can I have my f**king diploma now?  

Sincerely,

Kaitlin

She shouldn't have to apologize for anything.  She should be given her diploma so that she can move on with her life and attend the college which she has a full scholarship to because she was such a good student in high school.  Seriously.  Dr. Rick Martin needs to get off of his little power trip that he's on and do the right thing.  He needs to have a little chat with the asshat principal that won't give Kaitlin her diploma and make sure that she gets it.  And as for the apology, there absolutely should be one.  But it should be them apologizing to her, not the other way around.  Seriously, what is wrong with some people?

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: