Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Post Election Regret

Haven't done an idiot story in a while.  That's not to say that there's been a shortage of idiots.  Oh, far from it.  They're in abundance.  And here's one of them now!  Meet Eric Hartsburg.  Eric decided that it would be a good idea to auction off space on his face on eBay.  I am having difficulty finding a link to the actual auction, but the way that I understand how it worked was that the highest bidder would be able to make him tattoo whatever they wanted on his face.  Now, I don't know who the winning bidder was, but I do know a little bit about them.  I know that they were either a Republican or that they had a twisted sense of humor.  That's because Eric ended up with a Romney logo tattoo prominently displayed on his face.  Behold! 

There ya go!  That'll help future employment opportunities just fall at your feet.  Mr. Hartsburg received a whopping $15,000 for this tattoo.  Not nearly enough if you're asking me.  According to the New York Daily News, when asked about Romney's losing the election, Hartsburg said, "Totally disappointed, man...I’m the guy who has egg all over his face, but instead of egg, it’s a big Romney/Ryan tattoo. It’s there for life.”  Yes.  Yes, it is there for life.  That's why they call it a tattoo.  It's all permanent and stuff. 

He claims to not have any regrets, saying "I’m a tattoo guy, and it was something fun...I was trying to make politics fun. I didn’t change no lives; I’m no hero. But I shed blood for this campaign, and I’m glad to know that I did all that I could.”  Well, he's right about some things.  He certainly didn't "change no lives".  And while he sort of technically shed blood for the campaign (I suppose), when did that become a part of campaigning?  (And if it is going to be a part, why couldn't it be bloodier and more violent?) 

The article goes on to say that "He said he has learned some lessons from the experience, mainly that “the Republican Party needs quite a bit of reform,” mostly in winning over young voters."  I totally agree that the Republican Party needs to be reformed and needs to bring in young voters.  But I'm not so sure that the way to do that is by getting facial tattoos for your "cause".  I mean, if I were a younger voter and I was trying to decide between the party that tattoos their face and the party that doesn't tattoo their face, I'm gonna go with the non-tattooing party just to be on the safe side. 


I think the worst part about this, other than the actual tattoo itself, is all of the explaining he is going to have to do, say, thirty or forty years from now when he's sixty or seventy and people want to know what happened to his face.  That would be like someone today sporting a Hubert Humphrey facial tattoo from 1968.  (For the record, I had to look up who lost in 1968.  I had absolutely no idea.  I imagine it's going to be the same with Romney in the year 2052.)  How well do you think that would go over?  Yeah, probably about as well as a Romney tattoo on your face today.  Exactly. 





Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: