Thursday, February 16, 2012

Off The Rails

People have seriously gone off the rails with this whole Whitney Houston death thing. I'm getting a little tired of everyone reporting her death by giving a brief recap of her life where they mention what a great voice she had and they omit how she ruined her voice by doing drugs for twenty years. I'm not trying to be sanctimonious about the whole thing. I just think that it's something that needs to be mentioned so that her lifestyle or her choices aren't glamorized.

According to the Washington Post, the governor of New Jersey, the ridiculously large Chris Christie, has decided that all flags in New Jersey shall fly at half mast. Because...she was a war hero? Hmm...I don't think that's it. I think I'd remember something like that. No, I'm pretty sure that she was a really good singer about 25 years ago and wasted her talent by doing a bunch of drugs that would appear to have ultimately killed her. And folks in New Jersey are supposed to honor that with the flag at half staff? Are we just doing that for anyone now? Anyone with any shred of public familiarity is worthy of having the flag at half staff? Way to trivialize what that gesture actually symbolizes, Governor Christie. She was found dead in a hotel bathtub, for cryin' out loud! It's NOT commendable!

And as long as I'm rambling on about things I don't get about this whole ordeal, let's talk about her funeral. At first, it had been announced that it would be a public funeral at the Prudential Center which holds 19,000 people. And while that's a nice gesture for her fans (and people who would want to post pictures and footage on YouTube), her family decided that they wanted to just do an invitation only event. For 1,500 people. Am I the only one who finds that ridiculous? It's not like it's going to be an intimate affair or anything with that many people there. It's their deal. I get that. But I just found it ridiculous that they first announced it would be a public funeral in a venue that could hold 19,000 people and then they changed their mind because they wanted a smaller affair and are still inviting 1,500 people.

I'll be glad when all of this is over. Granted, we still have to wait for toxicology reports to come back and then tough it out while the collective media machine wets itself over the results. But then it'll over. Until it happens again to someone else.

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: