Monday, December 31, 2007

Are We Done Yet?

I'm not one of those people who see the new year as a "new beginning". I really don't see it as much of a "new" anything, for that matter. It's the beginning of a new month, but one not unlike the other eleven in the year. Hey, I understand the 'any excuse to throw a party and get ripped' excuse. That's all fine. But even that excuse isn't "new".

Although I never "look foward to" and new year and I'm never "glad this past year is over", I'm not exactly looking forward to this new year for one reason. The rhyming will begin at midnight and it won't stop before we're all sick of it.

2008. Do you know how many freaking words rhyme with "eight"? A lot. Hate. Great. Date. Wait. Bait. Late. Mate. Fate. Rate. Elate. Berate. Straight. Conjugate. Watergate. The list goes on.

Newscasters, copy editors, bloggers, anyone associated with presenting information to the public, all of them will suddenly turn into Dr. Seuss (no offense, Doc. You rule.). In fact, I'm going to count how many times I hear or read "Great in 2008" or "Don't be Late in 2008" for the first two days. I guarantee it will be more than 20 times. (Don't worry. I'll let you know how it turns out.)

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: