Monday, December 24, 2007

My Favorite People of 2007

I am by no means political and I try to avoid taking any political stance other than that of common sense. Nor do I tend to put a lot of stock in the political opinions of others. That's because this is a nation that elected a President named "Tricky Dick". Twice. I rest my case.

But since you can't avoid the current race for who is going to be each party's candidate, I feel the need to at least pay attention occasionally. And good thing I did, otherwise I might have missed out on Mike Huckabee.

First off, I think he'd really do himself a lot of good if he'd make his slogan "Go Huck Yourself" or at least call himself "The Huckster". Hey, if he had a college named after himself, it could be called "Huck U." (That statement should make you glad I don't get involved in politics.) Aside from that, the reason he's one of my favorite people this year is simply because he just goes out there and says it how he thinks it should be said and does it how he thinks it should be done.

First example: His first YouTube video. The guy stands there and looks at the camera and says, "Hello, YouTube. I'm Mike Huckabee." Hello, YouTube? WTF? I was laughing my ass off. If this guy did a television commercial, would he start out, "Hello, Television."? Hil-arious.

Then there is the currently controversial ad that he released about a week ago. The message of his ad went along these lines: He recognizes America's fatigue with all of the political crap and then he says that at this time of year, "what really matters is the celebration of the birth of Christ." At the end of his ad he throws in a "God Bless" and a "Merry Christmas."

There was some sort of unnecessary uproar because people were claiming that there was a subliminal cross placed in the background of his ad. It wasn't a cross, it was a white bookshelf, by the way. But people were saying that it was a cross and he was trying to make subliminal implications about religion (Huckabee is a minister, apparently). I've seen the spot and I really don't think it was intentional.

Now, the man openly SAYS OUT LOUD the word "Christ". The man openly SAYS OUT LOUD "GOD Bless" and (I repeat, OUT LOUD) "Merry CHRISTMAS". After saying those things, HOW is a cross SUBLIMINAL?! He's talking about Jesus Christ! He's talking about God! He's talking about the reason for the season! And again, OUT LOUD! It's not like he was talking about health care or hurricanes or anything. IF you're talking about something and IF there is an image that is associated with what you're saying, that's NOT subliminal! If anything, it's LIMINAL! (Yes, I made that up. But I needed to make a point.) Seriously, isn't this reaching just a bit? A subliminal white cross in the background of a political Christmas greeting advertisement to sneak in a message about religion? People are reeeeeeeeally stretching here.
But it's Huckabee's responses to this ridiculous accusation that make him one of my favorite people this year. Here's what he said in response, "If we are so politically correct in this country that a person can't say enough of the nonsense with the political attack ads could we pause for a few days and say Merry Christmas to each other then we're really, really in trouble as a country." Excellent. Anything else, Mike?

Of course! He also said: "Actually I will confess this, if you play this spot backwards it says 'Paul is dead, Paul is dead, Paul is dead,' " Nice job, Mike! Do you think all everyone who thinks it was a cross (and is, therefore, clueless as to the meaning of 'subliminal') will realize that his dry wit was directed at them and could possibly be implying a subliminal message that he thinks they're paranoid? Somehow I'm guessing not. (Can you imagine? A minister, talking about Christ at Christmas time!? Yes, what a sneaky bastard he is! Please.)

But it doesn't matter that the idiots will always be idiots. What matters is that this guy will stand up and say if he thinks someone is being ridiculous. And I think that's awesome.

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: