Sunday, May 6, 2012

It's A Nice Change From Al Sharpton

Have you heard the story about the 20-year old student who was attending Berkeley when he was caught up in a federal drug raid, never arrested or charged, but ended up being forgotten about in a holding cell for four days without food or water?  If you hadn't heard about it before now, it was pretty much what I just described there.  The guy's name is Daniel Chong and it's really not much short of a miracle that he didn't die in there.  He's now suing the DEA for 20 million dollars and I certainly hope that he gets it.  This incident was clearly nothing more than government asshattery at its finest.  But I wanted to point something out. 

After this story came out, I thought that it would get a little bit more attention than it did.  I'm not sure exactly why it didn't, but I guess it doesn't really matter.  But I'll tell you what impressed me about the publicity that was not given to this incident.  Mr. Chong is Asian.  But yet, there were not any Asian groups out there protesting his maltreatment under the assumption that someone must have had it in for him because he was Asian.  I cannot tell you how much I admire that.  You can't tell me that if this guy had been black that we would not all have been subject to the rants of Al Sharpton proclaiming how it was because he was black and how everyone who is white is a big ol' racist.  Yeah, that's exactly what would have happened.  You can't swing a dead cat without hitting Al Sharpton when something like that happens to a black individual. 

Do I have a point with all of this?  Not other than what I just stated.  I guess it just kind of gives me a little bit of hope that not all ethnic groups out there think that all white people are racist and out to get them.  Didn't I know that before?  Sure I did.  Of course I did.  But after the Trayvon Martin debacle, sometimes you wonder.  I like it that this horrible incident can obviously be chalked up to the incredible stupidity of whoever was working at the DEA.  There are a lot of things that can be chalked up to stupidity rather than a dislike for a certain race.  This is one of them and I'm glad to see it being treated as such. 

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: