Friday, March 16, 2012

Discomfort On St. Patrick's Day

From the files of "You have got to be effing kidding me", Subsection "We're doomed" we have this little gem from FOX News about an elementary school principal in Massachusetts who decided to rename St. Patrick's Day by calling it "O'Green Day". No, I'm not kidding.

It would seem that over at the Soule Road School located in Wilbraham, MA, the principal, a one Lisa Curtin, has completely lost her mind. I say that because she is the one responsible for all of the name changing. When asked about this asinine action, she said that she "...decided to change the name to ease discomfort that some students might have in celebrating St. Patrick's Day". Wait a minute? Discomfort? For elementary school students? I understand discomfort in adults. (Have you ever drank your way through multiple twelve packs and washed them down with various fifths of several different kinds of liquor whilst being unable to make your way to an restroom due to being crammed like a sardine against other drunken revelers at your neighborhood watering hole/dive bar? Now that's discomfort.)

What sort of "discomfort" could their possibly be from "celebrating" St. Patrick's Day when you're in elementary school? Or in any other school for that matter? Then again, this same woman changed the name of Valentine's Day to "Caring and Kindness Day," according to parents with children in the school." Caring and Kindness Day?! What the hell is that?! That's not the name of it! She doesn't just get to go around changing the name of a day for whatever reason? Is nothing sacred? What if she was worried about the kids who might feel "discomfort" on particular days of the week? Is she going to change those too? Is Monday going to end up being "Happy Week Start Cotton Candy Butterfly, Unicorn and Puppy Day"? I don't get this at all.

Fortunately, I'm not the only one. Parents think that it's ridiculous as well. Just to quote a few "I think it's ridiculous" and "It's really stupid." And yet it still happens. So freaking ridiculous. Tell me, did this all-enlightened principal think that it might be offensive to those who are Irish to change the name of the holiday? Of course not. One, because I doubt that would ever happen. And two, because people like this principal don't think like that. They just want everything to be neutral and have zero meaning behind it. I really wish that people had taken some time off from protesting against people that don't want women to have birth control and protested this for a little while. At least this would have been entertaining.

And that gets me to the real point of this whole thing. If you're soooooooo upset by the freaking name of something, why bother celebrating it at all? Isn't that offensive? Or wrong? (I'm really kind of grasping at straws here because I don't understand it at all. I could be missing an adjective.) Are people really that worried that someone might be offended by the name of a holiday? It's not even a very good holiday! Once you're out of the beer drinking stage and before you're in it, do you know what St. Patrick's Day looks like? Whatever day it's on! What is there to feel "discomfort" about on St. Patrick's Day?! How did that woman get to be principal?! So many questions. So few answers. Just doomed.

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the end of your blog you put "soo few answers" well here you go. My daughter goes to this school and the originators of this story ABC News 40 in Springfield MA completely misrepresented this story. Bottom line, the DAY BEFORE St. Patrick's Day the kids wear green (celebrating St. Patrick's Day) and are taught healthy eating using green fruits and vegetables. They called this day O'Green day. It was not renaming St. Patrick's Day, it was just a fun name for the day's activities. Also, Principal Curtin, who does a good job, declined comment to News 40 so not sure how they are quoting her. Our Superintendent issued a statement, you might want to look into it. THis is a prime expample of bad reporting and our 24/7 news society NOT fact checking!

Mare said...

Hey, Anonymous.

Excellent! I find the information you've provided to be very interesting. I will absolutely look into the statement that the superintendent issued.

I hope that you've provided ABC News 40 in Springfield, MA with this information. I'd be interested in what they have to say. I'm really interested in where the part about saving the students from "discomfort" came from, as if what you've said is accurate, that would appear to be a complete falsification.

In my own defense, I am merely a commentator. I don't do actual reporting. I prefer to leave that to the alleged professionals. However, I do not like commenting on stories that are full of crap. It makes me look like a moron. I will look into what the superintendent has said and see if I can get more information on this subject. If things are false, you can expect a future post from me ripping ABC News 40 and every other news outlet who reported this in this manner. This is why I hate the media.

Thanks again for letting me know this stuff. And thanks even more for reading. I appreciate it!

~ Mare