Sunday, November 25, 2007

Will the Real Guitar Hero Please Stand Up?

OK, confession time. I am a huge Guitar Hero fan/addict. (Now, now, let's not be so quick to judge, shall we?!) I don't know why I like it, I just do. The songs that are on the various GH games do not sound exactly like the original versions, but they're close enough so that you know what you're listening to. (Although 'Hold On Loosely' and 'The Warrior' from GH 80s are some of the worst attempts of imitation-trying-to-sound-like-the-real-thing singing I've ever heard.)

Apparently, The Romantics seem to think that the version of their hit "What I Like About You" sounds good. Really good. In fact, they think that it sounds so good that they're going to prove it by suing those fine folks over there at Activision, the makers of Guitar Hero.

Activision did get permission to use the song and record a cover version. But their version sounded so much like the original that it somehow infringed on "the group's right to its own image and likeness."

Their attorney, William Horton, commented by saying, "It's a very good imitation, and that's our objection. Even the guys in the band said, 'Wow, that's not us, but it sure sounds like us.'"

I don't get it. You're supposed to ask permission to use/copy something that is copyrighted (hence the term, I presume) but then if you copy it too closely, you can get in trouble? Isn't that like someone saying, "I'd like to copy your design of that square" and getting a reply of, "That will be fine as long as you make it look like a circle."

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

No comments: