Thursday, October 11, 2007

She'd Like To Buy A Voul

Watching "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" pains me. How tonight's contestant managed to find her way to the studio in the first place is beyond me.

The FIRST question in the category of 1st grade spelling was something along the lines of "How many consonants are in the word 'vowel'?" Such a tricky, tricky question (for some). I think probably where she really got hung up is with the spelling of the word 'vowel'. See, when you think that 'vowel' is spelled V-O-U-L, you're going to come up with the wrong number of consonants every time.

What was even sadder was how surprised this woman was when she heard how 'vowel' was actually spelled. I believe that she was honestly, honestly surprised.

It should come as no surprise that it didn't get any better for her. The whole display just made me embarrassed to be human.

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

Scofie said...

So, she got the first one right by save because she couldn't spell 'vowel'... the second by copy because she though van Gough was French... and the third she got wrong even with the peek. Granted, I didn't know what a demonstrative adjective was either, but her mistake was to try a 5th grade question, when she couldn't even answer a 1st grade question.

At least the first guy did well. $175k is nothing to sneeze at, and he could've gotten $300, but he chose not to tax his luck.

Actually, I almost wonder if she was rigged to miss so they show could end on time. Maybe they gave her more money for being entertaining than she would've got for doing well. I've only seen the show twice, but neither time was there a carry-over contestant.

Anonymous said...

What season/episode was this? I'm trying to find it on Hulu!