Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Condescending President

You know what I can't stand? Wait. Let me narrow that down a little bit, lest we be here all the live long day. You know what I can't stand about politicians? Wait. Hmm. There's no way of phrasing this without generating an incredibly long list of possibilities. I'll just cut to the chase. I can't stand a condescending politician. And I really can't stand a condescending President. I'm talking to you, President Barry.

The huffy folks over there at
The Huffington Post tell us that President Barry was at some town hall meeting that CNBC broadcast live on Monday. And I guess that the question or the issue was simple enough. Apparently, an audience member pressed President Barry to chime in on what it is that makes the Tea Party movement do its thing. For some reason, President Barry seems to think that there are no specific goals that these folks have. I'm not sure why he thinks that. But whatever the reason is, he came across sounding like a condescending jackass.

Here's part of what he replied (and it's the part that really ticked me off): "So the challenge, I think, for the Tea Party movement is to identify, specifically, what would you do?....It's not enough just to say get control of spending. I think it's important for you to say, I'm willing to cut veterans' benefits or I'm willing to cut Medicare or Social Security benefits or I'm willing to see these taxes go up. What you can't do, which is what I've been hearing a lot from the other side, is we're going to control government spending, we're going to propose $4 trillion of additional tax cuts, and that magically somehow things are going to work. Now, some of these are very difficult choices." Oh, for cryin' out loud.

There are two basic goals of the Tea Party movement. The second one can be almost automatic if the first goal is met. It's all about smaller government. Yes, it's also about lower taxes, but it's largely about smaller government. The government is huge and bloated. You don't think that there could be some cut backs in government there, President Barry? Really? Because you seem to think that we're all a bunch of idiots who would believe you that the only things that could be cut would be services that are essential.

This is what politicians do. Arnold Schwarzenegger pulls it at least once a year in California when they can't agree on a budget for this fiscally doomed state. They tell folks that, in order to stay within a budget, they're going to have to cut services like firefighters and policemen and school teachers. You don't want that, do you? No, of course not! That's when they justify raising taxes. But hold on a minute! Aren't there things within the governmental bureaucracy that could be cut other than firefighters, policemen and teachers? I'm 100% positive that there are.

President Barry, are you trying to tell me that every single government agency and department and job is absolutely, completely necessary? I don't think that it is. Are you going to tell me that every single government pension plan isn't overly generous? I don't think that you can tell me that and not have your nose grow at least six inches. You're trying to tell me that none of these governmental departments overlap and do the same work that other agencies do? And I'm supposed to believe you? Really?

How about, before you go suggesting cuts to Medicare and to veteran's benefits, you cut all services to those who are in this country illegally. How much money would that save? And that's just one area where money could be saved and where government could be shrunk. Don't go around threatening us by minimizing our obligation to our soldiers by suggesting that we should cut their services. How dare you. Seriously.

Smaller government. Lower taxes. Reduce the size of the government and spending will go down some. Reduce the size of the government to what it really needs to be reduced by and watch spending go down a great deal. Watch spending go down and watch the need to taxes to raise diminish. Remember, over fifty percent of Americans want fewer services and smaller government according to
two different polls, one done in April of this year and the other conducted in September of this year. Over fifty percent want smaller government. Is that specific enough for you, President Barry? How else do we need to spell it out for you?

Stumble Upon Toolbar Sphere: Related Content

6 comments:

Edge said...

Where do I begin with this one? First off, the Tea Party only exists because Barack Obama is black. Not to mention, the only reason they chose the name Tea Party is because the KKK and Aryan Nations were taken.

There, I said it. Let the elephant in the room dance around.

Now that that is out of the way, the Tea Party has said that they are against large government and for acceptable spending as well as more clarity in government, yet where were these people when the Patriot Act was passed or when Bush and his cronies were spending ridiculous amounts on the war in Iraq, a war predicated on a lie, by the way. Where were they when the office of the Vice president committed an act of treason by outing a CIA agent currently serving in the field?

Nowhere, you say? Didn't say anything? Didn't hold rallies? Didn't do anything?

Yet a black man gets into office wanting to change everything for the better, and all of a sudden let's gather the pitchforks and hold rallies.

Suck it up princess. Every president tries to change things. That is what they do. Just because the others have been white doesn't make it any different. Did we go after Clinton with pitchforks? How about Reagan? No...

This man is the President of the United States. Never forget that. And contrary to what the teabaggers would have you believe, he deserves respect.

Mare said...

Oh, Edge. I really like you, but we totally disagree here, that is obvious.

First things first, the Tea Party Patriots have nothing to do with him being black. It's not a racist thing. I'm sure that there are some racists out there, as there are in any group. But the whole thing is not based on racism. I voted for the guy. I don't give a fat rat's ass that he's black.

Let's look at your question about where folks were when the Patriot Act was passed. It was at the end of October, 2001, about six weeks after the attack on the World Trade Center. You know where everyone was? They were at home, scared to death. They didn't protest because ANYTHING sounded like a good idea at that time. Fear keeps people from doing a lot of things. Also, at the time that the Patriot Act was passed, Bush's approval rating was hovering in the high eighties. People didn't protest because they approved (at the time). I do have a link if you'd like to look at those numbers.

What about the ridiculous amount of spending in Iraq? Again, that was an action predicated upon fear. People thought (before we were informed that we were lied to) that it was what needed to be done. In March of 2003, when the decision was made to invade Iraq, Bush's ratings were in the high sixties, low seventies. There weren't protests because the majority of people believed it was the right thing to do at the time.

I agree with you on the Dick Cheney issue. There should have been more uproar about that.

Don't call me princess, Edge. I'm not name calling here. I do respect the President of the United States and please do not imply that I do not. He asked a question in a way as if there was no obvious answer. That's condescending and I don't appreciate it. Smaller government, lower taxes and ways to accomplish both of those have been provided. He shouldn't act like they haven't.

Lay off the racist thing. I'm not racist and no one that I know who wants smaller government and lower taxes is a racist either.

~ Mare

Mare said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott Jacobs said...

"Where do I begin with this one? First off, the Tea Party only exists because Barack Obama is black. Not to mention, the only reason they chose the name Tea Party is because the KKK and Aryan Nations were taken.

There, I said it. Let the elephant in the room dance around."

Boy, thank god you said THAT, Edge. I mean, all this time, no one has had the bravery to accuse the Tea Party of being racist...

Except for everyone still worshiping at the altar of The Anointed One.

But way to be your own man, dude.

"This man is the President of the United States. Never forget that. And contrary to what the teabaggers would have you believe, he deserves respect."

Why do I have this feeling you did one of the following:

1) Took a webcam picture in 2004 holding a bit of paper saying "We're sorry"

2) Used the phrase "Chimpy McHaliburton" in a non-ironic way.

3) Claimed "He isn't my President"

Any of those hit close to home?

You don't get to be part of the party who made BusHitler signs, and then go around lecturing people who think the government is too big, wastes too much money, and involves itself in many things it should not.

Oh, and as an aside, I would direct you to this graph. Yeah, that ol' Iraq War... Totally not even CLOSE to what Ear Leader has cost us.

But go ahead. You just keep on fuckin' that chicken...

Edge said...

You're right, Mare, and I apologize. I was attacking the points and wound up unfairly attacking the author.

For that, I sincerely apologize for any and all comments that offended you, including the princess comment.

Mare said...

Hey, Edge.

It's all good. I enjoy a good debate. I know that I don't always see things in the most logical light and I'm always up to having that pointed out me. I'm not beyond changing my opinion.

I hope you'll stick around. It's defeinitely more interesting and entertaining when you're here.

~ Mare